Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Beading and Birding and Challenges

 I cannot tell a lie...I am super obsessed with taking a drive out to the shore and checking out snowy owls.  Went again this past weekend and only saw two - but boy this gal sure was a beauty - and huge too!!!

I have a feeling I'll be back again before they migrate back to the arctic!! Also stopped at Crane Estate/Castle Hill, which even in the winter, was quite spectacular. 

My son and girlfriend's son! How can you resist not running down this alley!



Over the last couple weeks I made a couple more of the shamrock earrings in the same style I made last year.  This time in a few different colors.


But then got inspired to pull out the polymer clay and make a few more.  I had a lot of false starts of an idea I had in mind, until I was finally able to come up with a design (and method!) that worked! 

After baking, I still had a few charms that went into the reject pile....but then I had fun making some cute St. Patrick's Day earrings. 



Sadly a couple weeks ago, my package of quilt squares I intended to send to B&B were stolen out of my car. :(  Very bummed and disappointed.  But in any case, I got back in the saddle and made some more. 




*Le sigh* I did it again....I have signed up for the Blogging from A-Z Challenge in April.  Am I crazy or something???  Well, I love it and hate it every year for the last three years.  I think however, I have to retire the craft and bead theme, I realized I was starting to repeat a lot of my subjects! I will very likely focus on food, which is another huge part of my life.



My photo for Focus on Life worked!!  After taking out the quilling papers to photograph, I was inspired to do some quilling!  My technique definitely needs some refining, but I am totally enjoying this new(to me) craft!  I ran out of colors I needed for the seahorse and promptly placed an order online for more paper.  (After searching locally with no luck!)

 A few weeks ago I participated in the "Grow Your Blog" blog hop.  I (finally) pulled the winners.  The bead soup winner is Emily of Callenders Creations.  She is a quilter!  The winner of the earrings is Moriah from Fuzzy Slippers Designs. She works with paper and stamping.  As a very happy coincidence I learned that Moriah lives just a few towns from me!  So I'll be delivering her prize when we meet in person next week for coffee!! 


I also signed up for the Bead Soup Blog Party.  One of the highlights of the year in my opinion.  I was just on the Bead Soup Cafe Facebook page and a little disturbed to learn that some people are actually complaining to Lori about the pace at which she's assigning partners.  Really???  C'mon people, it's a party.  A voluntary and free event!  If you don't like it, don't sign up!! Jeesh!!   In any case...I love every part of this event.  Meeting my new partner.  Selecting the bead soup I'll be sending.  Anxiously awaiting my soup.  Opening my soup! Dreaming up a design with the soup contents.  And of course, finally the big reveal!!  It's just too fun!!

Okay - next up on my 'to-do' list is to catch up on my blog reading....

8 comments:

  1. I should've gotten off my duff to see the snowy owl in Dennis but it's just too darn cold. Your squares were stolen?!?!?!?! That sucks! And here I leave my camera on my seat in plain site sometimes. I better rethink that. :( The shamrock earrings came out beautifully, as is your quilling. I have the stuff to quill, I just haven't done it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when someone has that much on their plate, and can still function normally! You are one busy girl...everything you dabble in here is just beautiful (the little shamrock earrings are darling, and now jogged my memory that I need to pull out a few shamrocks I started last year, and shelved). Quilling & quilt squares - all beautiful...jealous! LOVE the owl...would love to see one out in the open like that. Happy Creative Wednesday - Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got so close to the snowy again! Awesome! Love the shamrocks~what a great design for the beaded ones and the polymers. It is nice to know March is almost here and we will be wearing our Green come the 17th :-) I am curious to see your quilling and how it develops and to follow your A-Z with food! glorious food!!!
    And the squares were stolen?!?!?!? What is with people?! I admire you just getting right back to it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,
    The owl is beautiful I love looking at live owls they are such awesome birds. The boys looked like they were having fun running in the snow. Love the earrings the beaded ones and the clay ones they are so pretty and festive. Ahh A-Z with food this is going to be interesting. I am liking the seahorse so far looking forward to seeing it done.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those owls are so beautiful. It's awesome that you continue to see them and photograph them! I love your shamrock earrings! And, I had no idea that you were such a wonderful polymer clay artist!! Those charms are fantastic. And, your quilling is beautiful. You would never guess that its a new to you craft. It's so sad that someone would steal your bead squares out of your car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful and exciting to see snowy owls! Love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so busy! Love the owls and new craft projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I've tried that once but failed miserably.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!! They really mean a lot!