Friday, March 1, 2013

Welcome to the Challenge of Music...hosted by Erin at Treasures-Found!


I participated in the Challenge of Music last year and loved it.  In fact - I submitted the earrings I made last year for publication in an upcoming bead book and they were accepted....the earrings are en route to the publisher on this very day!  So THANK YOU Erin for hosting this great challenge that pushed me to use the muse of music, and create something I was proud enough to send in for consideration!

For this year's challenge, I was all set to start rocking out some jewelry inspired by Pink's song, "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)", when Erin threw a twist in the challenge - choose an instrumental piece.

Okay!  I can do that.  I have a go-to mix on my iTunes that is instrumental that just makes me feel good when I listen to it.  Sometimes you don't need the words.  The hard part was selecting which of the songs in my instrumental mix I would select....


But then, it wasn't really that hard.  "Waltz for Julia," by Suzanne Ciani has been one of my favorite instrumental pieces for as long as I can remember.  It's frequently listed as meditation music, but it feels so much more hopeful to me.  Not that meditation can't be hopeful....it's just that when I hear this song, it makes me feel like I'm moving around in the movie of my life and this is the soundtrack...and something wonderful is about to happen or has just happened!  

When I sat down to bead, I was drawn to the pearls.  And apparently, this movie I am in, while listening to this music, is set in an era gone by....my necklace turned out, in my opinion to have a real Victorian or early 20th century feel (...come to think of it, I did sit down and work on this piece a few times while catching up on Downton Abbey.)

My piece...inspired by "Waltz for Julia":


Here is a list of everyone else participating.  Check it out.  I'm sure you will see some beautiful pieces and maybe even hear some new music, I know I did last year! Thanks again to Erin for hosting this great challenge!
Erin Prais-Hintz
Alenka Obid
Ali McCarthy
Alicia Marinache
Amy Severino
Amy Grass
Carolyn Lawson
Cece Cormier
Cynthia Riggs
Ema Kilroy
Emanda Johnson
Emma Todd
Erin Kenny
Evelyn Shelby
Evie and Beth McCord
Gerd Andersson
Holly Westfall
Jennifer Justman
Jenny Davies-Reazor
Jess Green
Judy Campbell
Karla Morgan
Kay Thomerson
Kristina Johansson
Lola Surwillo
Lynn White
Malin de Koning
Mallory Hoffman
Mary K McGraw
Melissa Meman
Melissa Trudinger
Michelle Escano
Michelle Bourbonniere
Michelle Heim
Michelle Mach
Molly Alexander
Molly Schaller
Monique Urquhart
Niky Sayers
Pam Farren
Rebecca Anderson
Sally Russick
Sharon Palac
Sharon Driscoll
Susan Kennedy
Tari Kahrs
Tracy Stillman
Veralynne Malone


Happy Hopping!

28 comments:

  1. Love the song you used for the Challenge (going to have to add it to my music list!). The necklace is gorgeous! I love how it flows and weaves like the music!
    Also, COONGRATS on sending your earrings in for publication and being accepted - awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece Amy, I love it. It looks so sophisticated! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy~This is so beautiful and elegant. Makes me want to dress up in silk and lace and go somewhere with chandeliers, tall windows, and slow dance all night. You achieved a perfect piece here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so beautiful and I do love the Victoriana look of it too! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, this is so beautiful: it does, indeed, belong on Downton Abbey! Christine is absolutely right, that was my first thought too: I want to dress up in a gown and go to a ball: you have achieved perfection, elegance, beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very elegant and beautiful. I definitely see the influence Downton Abbey's had on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful melody! (Just like you, I can't really see it as meditation music as that for me is sitting down, focusing on nothing, stillness and all that -- this music moves back and forth, it changes and takes me with it -- it makes me want to be in motion, all be it gently, and listen actively.)

    The necklace is gorgeous -- so elegant and shimmering! Love the colours! A really great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Waltz and I agree you can see yourself dancing through life with this one. It's funny how we can place ouselves into music tunes - I visualie that often even though I am a terrible dancer. Wouldn't your necklace just be perfect with a little silk champaine colored dress? Something with simple lines so that necklace would have center stage. I can see the heels and a simple clutch in that dark red wine color. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful, and congratulations on the publication!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely necklace! It suits the music perfectly as well as the Downtown Abbey theme! Best wishes Gerd

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see waltzing in the ballroom wearing that! Guess I am agreeing with the time-gone-by feel you mentioned. It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very elegant.But, I'd bet it would also be wearable with blue jeans as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful interpretation of the music you chose. I think this design would have been right at home on the red carpet last week! The design is so intricate, yet has a very youthful feel, much like the waltz. Beautiful job!

    :) Molly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a great necklace! So rich looking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your story and I love your necklace. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous necklace Amy! I definitely see the Downton Abbey influence. Great minds think alike! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amy, firstly I would like to thank you for introducing me to the work of Suzanne Ciani. This is a quietly beautiful, almost reverent composition. It is well served in your necklace, which is elegant in its understated use of just two colours. Wonderfully interpreted!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely piece -- traditional and new at the same time. I love the rippling repetition of the scalloped line of pearls. Quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy moly, Miss Amy! Congratulations on having your earrings accepted! I hope you will share more when it is released! I love Suzanne Cianni. Her music is very uplifting and soothing. I have never heard this one. Your piece has a definite Victorian flare. I can see this with a beautiful black lace dress. Thank you so much for participating in the challenge and sharing your music and art with the world! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful piece, Amy! It really feels so Downtown Abbey, but it would be perfect for a ballroom dance evening ... ooooo, too much time has passed from my last one!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely choice of colour - so pretty and warm. I'm sure any Victorian lady would have been proud to wear this to the social highlight of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful beadwork Amy! I can see Lady Mary wearing it strolling through the gardens with this musical piece in the background. That reminds me, I have the disc for season 3 sitting here waiting for me to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, beautiful beadwork Amy! Your necklace does have an "era gone by" feel to it but it also fits the music so well. The triple band of pearls with the loops that descend are really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous beadwork, and a stunning piece. The music is so pretty and I love that it is part of your own personal soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful piece! I can definitely see the Victorian/early 20th century influence and can easily see this being worn by a very elegant lady doing a waltz at a fancy ball :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous necklace. It does indeed have a Victorian feel. Wonder if you could send it to DA to be worn next season.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful design Amy! I love how regal it looks. It fits your music perfectly!
    {Hugs!}

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!! They really mean a lot!